|Aquaman was created by Mort Weisinger and first appeared in More Fun Comics #73 (November, 1941).|
|Species: Atlantean/Human Hybrid, Height: 6’1″, Weight: 325 lbs, Hair: Blonde, Eyes: BlueOther Aliases: Orin, Arthur Curry
Place of Birth: Atlantis
Base of Operations:Posidonis
Overview: Aquaman is the literal King of the city of Poseidonis, and the proclaimed King of the Seas. Approximately 26-38 human years of age, Aquaman has superhuman strength, can breathe underwater, swim at high speeds, has preternatural reflexes, and can request sea creatures through telepathy to perform actions for him.
He is a natural linguist capable of speaking many languages, possibly through an inadvertant interaction of his telepathy, and can understand and be understood by any sea creature through the direct application of his marine telepathy. After the loss of his left hand, he had S.T.A.R. Labs provide him with a powerful harpoon prosthetic.
History: See alternative datasource: The Unofficial Definitive Guide to the DC Universe – Aquaman Historical ReferenceKnown Powers:
- Biological Adapatation: The Atlanteans are offshoots of humanity that are biologically adapted to the deep ocean environment, giving them the ability to breathe underwater, enhanced sight, hearing and strength. For most Atlanteans, this means that they are blue-skinned, possessing gill slits and can only spend a very limited time out of water before dying. Aquaman, as an Atlantean, and the son of a wizard and Atlantean queen, can breathe both water and air, but must return to the aquatic environment at various intervals; this length can be prolonged by the humidity in the atmosphere. He can withstand extremes of temperature and pressure that allow him to plunge into the ocean depths and resurface without harm. His metabolism must also be extremely efficient, given that he does not seem to suffer the effects of nitrogen narcosis, the bends or other deep sea ailments common to normal humans, under normal conditions. Any instance that might require that he surface in less than 10 seconds would still cause the nitrogen bubbles to form in his bloodstream.
- Marine Telepathy: Aquaman has the ability to communicate directly with sea life and has done so throughout most of his life. Lately he possesses a greater range of control that can actually force sea creatures to obey his whims. Currently, he requests their assistance and they comply. He has chosen to continue to request since, if he forces them to comply, they will ultimately lose respect for him. He now also has access to a quantum field phenomenon called “the Clear”. “The Clear” quantum phenomenon has been observed with the subject called the Swamp Thing who called it the Green or the Morphogenic Field of Animal Man (also called the Red). Aquaman is also an accomplished telepath in general and can perform such telepathic feats as mind to mind communication, mind probes, mental domination of a non-aquatic mind, and mental attacks. The potency of such mental domination is unclear but he has been seen to use his powers to great effect against the White Martians and Doctor Polaris.
- Access to “the Clear:” Aquaman has the ability to sense the primal emotions of aquatic creatures through “The Clear”. The Clear seems to function as a universal consciousness of all sea life. Via it he can communicate or command sea life on the other side of the planet. He can see what they see and much more what he is only beginning to realise. He can also push his telepathic powers to reach out to the higher land creatures to find that element of their brains that was once an aquatic dwelling creature. This may account for Aquaman’s facility with language.
- Sonar Location: A sonar power which allows Aquaman to detect things when blinded. A possible side effect of his gift from Posidon or from the nature of his advanced mental powers, Aquaman can use this sonar-like sense to detect objects much as a dolphin might. The range of this power is unknown.
- Enhanced Physiology: Aquaman possesses superhuman strength on the order of 150 times human maximum (assuming a human max of 750 lbs, meaning approximately 60 tons), but his strength is always underrated, considering the company that he keeps. While not on the order of Wonder Woman’s or the Martian Manhunter’s, his strength is more than a match for most common barriers such as wood, common metals, brick or concrete walls. Only steel reinforced barriers have a serious chance of slowing him for any length of time. Aquaman has a limited level of durability, making him resistant to injuries that could kill a normal man. He is not completely proof against small arms but he is bullet resistant, able to take a direct hit without incapacitation. While no speedster, Aquaman’s reflexes are superior to even exceptional metahumans such as Deathstroke the Terminator, and his reflexes are on the order of 12-15 times faster than a normal human. Aquaman is an accomplished swimmer, easily the better of any Olympic level athlete. Aquaman possesses strength and stamina that allows him to swim up to 150 mph for at least a 4 hour period without significant breaks for rest or recuperation. If he wished to extend this period of travel at reduced speeds he could “ride” or be towed by dolphins or other swimmers until he was rested.
- Weapons: Aquaman’s left hand was eaten by piranha and was replaced with a harpoon. When that harpoon was later destroyed, S.T.A.R. Labs engineered a multifunction prosthetic. Its primary weapon, a retractable harpoon, can be drawn into its casing to be temporarily replaced with a prosthetic hand. The The harpoon line made of a tungsten steel cable that is capable of supporting 2 tons without breaking. It has also been equipped with the ability to carry an powerful electrical charge. The harpoon, made of a high-grade hardened vanadium-titanium alloy, can be made to spin at high speeds and act as a drill, launched at an opponent to entangle them, or to wrap around an object to prevent a fall. Recently, Orin has a new prosthetic hand that functions as his normal hand does, but it is able to form limited types of bladed weapons with a direct application of his will. The material is unknown and the source of that hand has not been revealed.
- Skills: Aquaman excels at hand-to-hand combat and overall martial ability. He has an advanced strategic sense, and has natural leadership qualities. His natural autocratic nature does not suit him well in environments where democracy is an issue but Orin is a natural commander and his ability has served him well in the protection of Posidonis.
Allies: Mera, Tempest (aka Aqualad, Garth), Dolphin, Deep Blue, Tsunami, Power Girl, Superman, Steel, Flash, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Zauriel, The Martian Manhunter, Big Barda, Orion
Enemies: Black Manta, Ocean Master, The Scavenger, Noble, The Shark, Triton, Kordax