||Species: Human, of Caucasian descent, Height: 5’11”, Weight: 156 lbs., Hair: Black, Eyes: HazelOccupation: Freelance Artist
Group Membership: Justice League of America
Overview: Kyle is a freelance artist, living in New York City. While living in Los Angeles, Kyle was given the last power ring of the Guardians of the Universe by Ganthet. Rayner used his ring successfully against Ohm, and changed the original Green Lantern costume. Kyle later fought Mongul and saved a future Los Angeles from destruction during a Zero Hour incident. His life changed when his girlfriend Alex Dewitt was murdered by Major Force, who was hired by a secret organization to take Kyle’s ring. Kyle was then caught up in the Zero Hour incident, where he, along with many other heroes, saved the universe from being rewritten by Hal Jordan, aka Parallax. Kyle was forced to destroy the planet Oa, the former home of the Guardians, to prevent Hal from getting any more power.
|History: The man known as Kyle Rayner has been under survelliance since the beginning of his career as Green Lantern. He is the current owner of what is considered to be, in the right hands, the most powerful weapon in the known universe. Rayner, has been until recently, the only Green Lantern left of the previous Green Lantern Corps. Rayner never served in the old Corps, receiving his ring after the death of the previous Corp and its masters, the Oans.Known Superhuman Powers: Kyle Rayner possesses the normal strength and stamina of a human who engages in moderate regular exercise. He has no superhuman abilities outside of the use of the ring.
Weapons: Green Lantern’s ring, considered by some to be one of the most powerful weapons in the known universe, has the ability to affect and use fundamental forces of the known universe, including electromagnetic energies such as gravity, radiation, heat, light, and powerful blasts of concussive force. It is also theorized that the ring also has a basis in other dimensional energies commonly called magic by users of such energies. The ring can also create fields of force formed from an unknown energy that was bound by the users’ will. The limitations of such use are the skill, knowledge and imagination of the user.The ring worn by Kyle Rayner, possesses numerous powers and abilities. Some of those abilities include:
- Force Construct Creation: The ring is capable of creating a field of force, that based on the will of the user, is capable of resisting energy discharges and physical energy transfers. This field is generally used to create constructs such as barriers or walls to block or support other structures or forces.
- Damage Resistant Aura: This life sustaining aura protects the ring wearer from harm. In space, it generates a field of life sustaining atmosphere and protection from harmful radiation, even if the wearer is unconscious. In earlier versions of the rings, the wearer was believed to be able to resist any attack that was not immediately mortal. The only exception to that was attacks based on the color yellow. The newer version of the ring, of which there is only one, is not limited by the color yellow, but does not protect the wearer as efficiently as the earlier version did.
- Force Projection: The ring can project beams of force powered by the will of the user. Kyle generally uses fanciful constructs in the shape of advanced technology. Their appearance does not indicate the power of the weapon. The weapons power is more an indication of the will of the user. Certain users (i.e. Hal Jordan) have been powerful enough to stagger even Superman.
- Flight: By the manipulation of anti-gravitons and directed molecular movement, the ring allows the user to fly at incredible speeds. In atmosphere, Green Lantern has been known to fly as fast as Mach 10 in atmosphere by creating an aerodynamic envelope around his body. Towing others, usually within a bubble, his speed is limited to the twice the speed of sound or 1440 mph.
- Interstellar Flight:In space, Green Lantern’s speed can be significantly greater and has been known to approach 80% of lightspeed in normal space. The ring has the ability to create wormholes and space warps that allow for greater distances to be travelled in less time. Oa, which was rumored to be at the center of the known universe, was said to be able to be reached by a Green Lantern in only a few days of space warp travel.
- Limited Cellular Regeneration:This ring has a limited ability to heal physical injuries and this seems to be a feature held over from the previous incarnations of the ring. Green Lantern can use the ring to repair minor injuries in himself or others. Speculation has been rendered to wonder if Kyle actually had medical knowledge, that he would be able to cure a wider variety of dysfunctions, beyond normal physical injuries.
- Electromagnetic Scanning: The ring has a wide range of detection abilities based on the imagination of the user. If Kyle can conceive of it, he can probably detect it. Magical effects like clairvoyance, seem to be beyond the scope of the ring. Most normal electromagnetic phenomena are within the range of the ring, including radio, television, infrared, ultraviolet, and high frequency band communications.
- Galactic Encyclopedia: The earlier rings worn by the Corps functioned as references for their users. Having the vast knowledge of the Oans to draw upon, each ring functioned as a ready reference on most peoples, stellar events and conditions that may have been seen by other rings or other Green Lanterns. The rings also served as a repository of adventures had by the Green Lantern and these mission reports were stored in the Prime Battery on Oa for review and training.
- Universal Translator: All versions of the ring allowed the user to communicate with anyone, no matter what language was spoken. The ring allowed for translation as long as the medium for communication was able to be duplicated by the ring, and that the wearer was aware that communication was being attempted. If no common frame of reference existed, it is possible that there could be little communication between the two parties.
- Weaknesses: This version of the Green Lantern’s ring does not have any direct weaknesses unlike the first versions of the ring. Alan Scott’s version was unable to affect anything made primarily of wood. His ring also had to be recharged every 24 hours or it would lose its powers. The Green Lantern Corps rings were unable to affect anything colored yellow and also had to have a 24 hour recharge. Kyle Rayner’s ring has none of these limitations. It retains a charge until it runs out of power. This variability ensures that Kyle takes a great effort to keep it charged. The other real weakness of the ring is the wearer. If Kyle can be kept from focusing his will, through drug use, neural interference, vertigo or other form of mental incapacitation, then the ring can be rendered useless.
Allies: Justice League of America, Jade, Sentinel, Green Arrow, Donna Troy, Alan Scott, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Steel, Superman, Supergirl, Superboy, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Zauriel, The Martian Manhunter, Big Barda, Orion, Flash
Enemies: Grayven, Parallax, Darkseid, Sonar, Dr. Polaris